June 2, 2011

Day Two

Theme: What You Wore Today.

Since "today" was a pilates day, two pictures were in order. And I even have a third. Oh, are you in for a treat.

In the morning I wore:
PhotographyChallengeDay2-2
In the afternoon I wore:
PhotographyChallengeDay2-1

You may notice a theme here. My legs are completely covered. This is not common for my Cartagena attire. But I have a situation.
Last weekend we spent Sunday at the beach. I enjoyed some time in the water and soaking up some sun in the sand. On Monday, morning I woke up with what appeared to be a rash on the insides of my ankles. I ignored it, hoping it would go away. Ignorance is bliss right? Well, not in this case. My rash did not go away, it got worse. Very red and one area on my left leg even starts to (gasp!) blister. This is why I am wearing only clothing items that cover my legs entirely.
(I can't believe I am posting a picture, but that's what this blog is for right. Documenting our experience. The good, the bad, and the atrociously ugly.)
rash
With Matt's help I was able to get a doctor's appointment for this "rash". I had some anxiety about my first medical experience in a new country and imagined the loads of paperwork you fill out in the states, in Spanish. Nada. Didn't put a pen to paper once. I sat briefly with the Doc, explained the situation, he looked at my rash, and then we proceeded to discuss treatment. My pocket translator was utilized. And I still have no idea what caused this rash. We have made some guesstimates and due to the placement and randomness the overwhelming consensus seems to be that I had an encounter with something in the water (imagine something swimming right between my legs).
My treatment is as follows:
Twice a day I boil a litre of water and add some prescription powder to it.
I soak my affected area for 15-30 minutes.
Then I apply prescription lotion to the area and another lotion to the blistered area.
Do this for one week. Go back to the doc Friday.

I thought it would be similar to magic and I would wake up with my normal legs back. Hasn't happened. They are not getting worse and I see a slight improvement, but let's just say I am in the market for some more long dresses

No comments :

Post a Comment