June 10, 2011

Day Ten

Theme: A Childhood Memory


I knew this was going to be a challenge. In fact, the conversation last night surrounding this topic went a little like this:
S: Guh, tomorrow's theme is childhood memory. How am I going to do that? I live in Colombia.


M: Sarah, it's not that hard... Think about it. I know this doesn't apply to you, but let's pretend as a child you would go to your grandparents and ride horses. You could go take a picture of a horse and that could be your childhood memory. It's not like you have to take a picture of a specific toy, that you specifically played with in your brother's room when you were 8 years old.
(does he know me or what? except for the playing in my brother's room, maybe he doesn't know my brother...)


But, still I struggled. Childhood memories flew through my mind...
{the backyard swing set & sandbox, Santa coming to the house, 
Worlds of Fun & Disney World, Oatmeal Cream Pies, 
feeding the ducks at the airport, Hart Ranch, Bear Country USA,
Mt. Rushmore, painting pumpkins for Halloween before we carved them, 
swimming lessons with Gigi & Mitzi, my carousel horse collection,
picnics in the backyard, reading Laura Ingalls Wilder
the 5 time flower girl & Les Miserables playing
 on Saturdays as mom cleaned}

Then I had an idea.

This is a photography challenge right. It just so happens that I have a childhood memory that is fitting of photography.

This is how I recall it:
When I was in kindergarten some representatives from Better Homes & Gardens came to the school. I suppose they were there looking for students to be in a new line of children's craft books they were publishing. 
And I was a chosen one.
Now, I know you're probably really impressed right now, but I think there were 3-4 students chosen from my half-day kindergarten class alone. A model I am not. 
Here is the book:


(If you are curious it is available on Amazon brand new for $1.50. If that is not in your price range the used books start at $0.01)

What is funny is that I totally remember this entire experience. I recall exactly what I was wearing {if only I could find a picture of that shirt}, going to the studio, being shown how to hold my hands & pose, etc.
Oh, did I mention what my craft was. I made a peanut butter monkey sandwich. What is that?

Guess what?
You're in for a treat! 

Sarah's Peanut Butter Monkey Sandwich
22 years later
{disclaimer: this is my recollection. Actual process of Peanut Butter Monkey sandwich could be much different)

These are the materials needed.
pbmaterials
Using a glass {I don't recall if they used a glass. For some reason I am under the impression they used a cleaned out can, like of corn. That doesn't seem very kid-friendly. If you have not yet, please see the disclaimer above} make 2 circles of bread for your monkeys head!
pbbread
After putting your sandwich together, it's time to make your monkeys face. {I don't remember how they applied the peanut butter to the raisins to make them stick on the bread, so I just put some peanut butter on the cutting board and dipped the raisins in it}. I don't remember getting to snack on the raisins as I placed them on the sandwich. 22 years later, I snacked.
pbraisins
Here if your finished Peanut Butter Monkey Sandwich. 
monkey
{apparently I needed a director for this photo shoot, you can't even see the subject, the monkey}
Happy Friday. 
Enjoy your Peanut Butter Monkey sandwiches.



No comments :

Post a Comment