September 28, 2012

272/366


272.366
I would love to know what he was thinking here...

maybe about our impending 10 hour flight
possibly about work and what he would come back to after two weeks
or perhaps about all the adventure that lay ahead

but surely he was not thinking about 'Macgyvering' an airsickness bag for his wife.

let me start from the beginning...

I have a history of carsickness.
As a child I was prone to a feeling of nausea as we traveled that lead to packing plastic bags just in case and open car windows to catch some fresh air.
While I no longer suffer from the carsickness ailment, I try to avoid feeling hot in moving vehicles.
I deal with this by blasting AC or opening windows to create a healthier environment for myself.

This blows Matt's mind.

Probably because, 90% of the time my 'hot flash' comes on rather fast and I immediately roll down a window in the middle of January or turn up the A/C full blast, regardless of weather or speed conditions.
Matt believes that I should be able to better gauge when I begin feeling warm and adjust the temperature accordingly at that point, rather than making it such a dramatic act of desperation .
{his words}
But it comes like a wave.
A desperate one.

When we boarded our flight from Bogota to Madrid I immediately realized that there were no individual air conditioners above the seat.
This may have sent me into a bit of a panic.
I always turn that little nozzle up full blast to ensure that I have some cool air blowing on my face.
So no air, no control, and 350 people boarding a plane with no cool air circulating left me feeling a little warm.

Shortly after take off my heat and lack of air won and I needed an airsickness bag.
My husband quickly realized what was going on and searched our seat backs for the appropriate tool. But we got seated in a row that had no airsickness bags.
He quickly ripped open the clear plastic bag that his flight pillow and blanket came in and I had an air sickness bag.
This entire act took place without a single witness.

Immediately I felt better.
My husband just shook his head.
He finally understood that my need for air was not just a dramatic act of desperation.

Our story doesn't end there.
We now had a very small airsickness bag,
which happened to also be a clear plastic bag.

To make the story all the more interesting before boarding the flight I had asked Matt if he had ever been sick on a plane and told him about how as a child I had to use an airsickness bag and how mortifying it is to have to hand it over to a flight attendant for proper disposal.
Thank you universe.

That simply wasn't an option.
Matt discussed delivering it to the garbage in the restroom, but quickly realized he would have to walk by 25 rows of people with a clear plastic bag to reach the restroom.
No.
Then we tried to figure out a way to wrap the bag in napkins and place it in a plastic cup to dispose of in the trash when an attendant came around. We quickly realized that two small on flight napkins don't hide much in a clear plastic cup.
Finally we realized the bag could easily be placed in a foil container that came along with the dinner served on the flight. Matt wasn't completely convinced that these foil containers were not used again so to ensure that a hard working flight attendant's night wasn't ruined, he proceeded to mold his container so that it could not be opened nor could it be used again.

Mission complete.

Yes.
This is how our European holiday began.

No comments :

Post a Comment