September 22, 2012

266/366

Expat life can be fabulous.
Expat life can be difficult.
I'm often reminded about what an amazing opportunity this is...
what an adventure,
an incredible lifestyle,
but sometimes it is easy to forget all the favorable parts of expat life
and focus more on the frustrations...
the language barrier,
the incredible lack of customer service,
no access to simple pleasantries that were once taken for granted,
or the fact that yesterday I was told it is illegal to use a cell phone in a bank {text, respond to emails, phone calls, all of it} regardless of the fact that you are expected to wait in a ridiculous line.

I've always been the type to have my nose in a book,
even more so now that I am an ama de casa.
I'm always looking for recommendations and trying to find some piece of literature to take me away,
something to learn from,
something to speak to me.
When I was in graduate school the book, The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews, was mentioned as a cognitive behavioral tool to use with clients. I made a note of the title and focused on the rest of my required reading.
This week I came back to the title and decided to put my nose in it. An easy read with a message, one that resonated with me...

...especially this...

Today I will choose to be happy.

I will greet each day with laugher.

I will smile at every person I meet.

I am the possessor of a grateful spirit.

Today I will choose to be happy.



Today, these things bring me happiness... 

Fall begins
fall
{source}

sweet strawberries
266

an afternoon glass of wine and a book
266.366

...drumroll please...
computer
{yay!} my computer's back {yay!}

Somedays are easier than others to be happy. 
Somedays bring struggles,
utter confusion when trying to communicate,
missing friends and family,
cab drivers who argue over one peso, 
broken air conditioners,
no Bella,
no soy milk,
no Diet Coke in a can,
and people who don't understand the concept of 'personal space'.
But happiness is a choice. 

There are 100 days left in 2012 and I choose to spend them being happy. 
Even if it's hard and I have to self talk myself into my happy place until I am blue in the face. 
I will choose to be happy.

How do you plan to spend the next 100 days?

No comments :

Post a Comment