October 23, 2012

297/366 & the girl who saved the pumpkin contest

look.
297.366
do you know what these are?

seedless grapes.

never have I ever seen a seedless grape in Colombia!
when I spotted them in the grocery store I broke out in song
in my head, of course.

I bought two bags,
because if there is one thing I've learned around here
it's that you just can't count on seeing anything twice.

*****

last week I was emailing with Misty regarding Halloween.
after a series of emails, she inquired about the McQuinn Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest.
sadly, i informed her that after much brainstorming, Matt and I had come to the conclusion that we may have to skip our tradition this year.
no pumpkins.
no tools
{yes, we use special tools. well, actually they are the ones that you can find in any pumpkin carving kit,  but when they are no longer available they seem pretty special}

we had discussed trying a few different methods, including a watermelon.
can you imagine trying to clean that out to carve?
we just didn't see a way to make it happen.

Misty didn't love our conclusion.
if I recall, it got a big ole boo.
she went on to write about how in the future we would fondly look back on the time we lived in Colombia and had to do 'X' to continue our contest.
she was totally right.
one of the more interesting and challenging aspects to our Colombian adventure is taking traditions that are important to us and making them work here.

while we may not be competing in our traditional pumpkin carving contest
we have a plan b to keep the tradition going.
2012.october-2


No comments :

Post a Comment