January 4, 2013

backstory

Last week I received a message from a friend from high school inquiring an explanation of how we ended up in Colombia, South America.
A backstory if you will.
And I will.

When Matt finished college, he took a job with an engineering construction company and moved from Iowa to Illinois, the western burbs of Chicago.  The first two years of employment Matt participated in a training program, which involved an opportunity to build skills in all areas of the company, including engineering and construction.
New Years 024
{quick back back story:
 I was teaching first grade in Johnston at the time that he graduated in December 2005.  We married in January 2006 and made the decision that I would stay and finish teaching and join him in Illinois in the summer. The weight of this decision hung over us during our honeymoon and I showed up to work on Monday morning, ugly crying as I tried to decide what to do.  A very dear sweet colleague summed up my decision in one simple statement: "You can always get another teaching job, you will never get the first 6 months of your marriage back."
I stayed until March, so they could find a long term sub and made my way to join my husband in Illinois.}

 Shortly after my arrival, Matt received news that he would be moving down to Louisiana to work on a construction project that was behind schedule. This was Matt's first experience 'in the field' and it was evident that this was the work he enjoyed.
2006-louisiana
After staying in Louisiana for 4 months, we made our way back to the Chicago area for 15 months and then made a big move to Texas, so Matt could work on the construction of a project he had been engineering.
2009
We knew that there were opportunities for travel involved in Matt's job, including international. Early on we made a commitment to make decisions together, so we could build a life with one another and not live separately based on career locations.
The opportunity to live overseas was always something we discussed, but until South America it had never really presented itself.  When work was finishing up in Texas there were a few locations that Matt was offered and we decided, together, that Colombia was the best option for us.
It's an incredible opportunity and though it has obstacles, I am delighted we made this decision.
Together.
 Colombia-June2011-4

As for what is next, it's a question I hear often and wish I had an appropriate response.
Is another international project an option?
Absolutely.
Could we end up in the US?
You betcha.
Do I have any idea where we will settle down?
Not a clue.

Currently we're looking at another two years in Colombia.
{welcome to the world of construction}
So we've got plenty of time to make decisions about what's next...
together.

1 comment :

  1. ever since I can remember I've been poppin' my collar...poppin' poppin' my collar.

    ReplyDelete