May 13, 2011

Q&A

Okay, so here are some answers to all those questions that were asked before we began this journey and set foot into our home of Cartagena, Colombia, South America.


Where will you live?
Well, currently (as shown earlier) we are living in the Hilton Hotel. So, I guess I am still living like Eloise. Matt's company identified realtors to aid us in the process of finding a real home. Thanks to some veterans who have navigated this process we contacted realtors immediately and were able to begin the house hunt quickly. There are some different areas that were identified as appropriate to live in and after touring several spots in the areas we have chosen a home in Boca Grande, the more commercial area. There are shops, restaurants, and bars all within close distance which will make it easy for me to get around. The only drawback we have heard is the noise factor, but we are still young and looking forward to living in the "happening" place. While the "homes" are referred to as "apartamentos" they are really more of condos. Each apartamento is owned by an individual. So after we chose the place we hope to lie our heads, Matt's company take the reins. They tour the apartment and note changes they deem necessary. For example, all apartments occupied by employees must have two locks, a peep hole, 24 hour security, and be on a certain floor of the building. The apartment we chose was unfurnished, so the owners are currently in Cartagena buying the necessary furnishings. After this stage, the company deals with all the contractual components and then we will have a home and actually unpack, for the first time in a looooonnnnnngggg time. I am very excited to get settled and begin to really see Cartagena as home. Below is the building we will be living in and I will be sharing pictures of the inside as soon as I possibly can.
apartamento

How do you get around? What is the transportation situation?
We will not be driving while living here (for good reason, it is intense), so we use a mix of public and company provided transportation. Matt is transported to and from work each day by a van. This van service is also available to wives and families, with notification. For example, last Sunday a van was arranged to pick us up and take us to the mall and then bring us back to the Hilton. Pretty slick. My main mode of transportation has been cabs. They are all over the place and very safe. There is not meter system here, so we were made aware that most cab fares to anywhere within close proximity are 5000 pesos (that's about 2.50 USD). To places farther out, it can be slightly more, but very economical. There is definitely some bartering that can go on and they have been known to try and charge "gringo" prices. Thankfully, so far, all of my cab situations have been confrontation free and I have not had to haggle. Cabbies tend not to have change, so I reserve my 5's for cab fares. I intend to do a lot more walking when we are in the apartment, but the Hilton is a little farther away from most of the restaurants. And let's be honest, with my sense of direction, I don't know that I am quite ready to head out with my very limited Spanish and figure my way around this place.
cabcartagena
I borrowed this picture from Google images. This shows the size of the cabs (quite small) and an idea of their driving. I believe this man is rescuing some kind of animal from being hit. There are many stray dogs and cats and I have been a witness to near misses of making contact with them. I have a mini anxiety attack every time. (Side note: Matt has made it clear to me that I am not allowed to "rescue" and bring home any of these poor creatures).


What is the food and drink like?
The food and drink is great. They have all types of restaurants here, much like you would find in the States, steak houses, Italian, French, & an Australian joint. There seems to be a lot of red meat, sea food and I have discovered the chicken is not served as I expect it in the states. Often times with bones and skin, which isn't really my thing. The grocery stores has lots to offer, including Heinz Ketchup. 
These are my two favorite menu items at the Hilton...
comer
As for drinks, the Coca Cola light is right up my alley. They also have a lot of fresh juices. Now for the adult drinks, we have been pleasantly surprised. We have spotted Cap't (Matt's drink of choice) and even some Jameson (for when the padres come to visit). They have a large variety of wines and serve vino tinto/red wine chilled here, which is refreshing in the heat. We drink a fair amount of cervesa here and have been pleased with the options. Last time I was at the grocery store I even spotted Bud Light (no Miller, sorry:)
beber

What do you do?
(obviously this question is going to be very different for each of us...)
Matt:
"Van picks me up at 6 with about 4 other guys, drive 30 minutes to work.
Coffee man comes around to my trailer about 8am with a delivery service.
The project has two aspects, one is a refinery expansion that is new
construction, the other is a revamp of the existing refinery.  Currently
I'm working on the revamp.  At noon, I go to the lunch tent for a prison
style lunch.  Wait in line for about 5 minutes to get to a row of people
who throw some food on a plate.  Typically you have the option of chicken
or some type of meat, but every day its with rice, beans, salad, and some
type of fruit punch drink.  Its getting old already.  Need to get into apt
so I can bring lunch several times a week.  About 2000 people on-site now,
supposed to peak at around 6000 to 8000.  Van picks us up at 530 to head
home, traffic is pretty bad and we average about 2-3 near accidents a day
going back to the hotel."
Sarah:
I often don't know how to explain my days, but I manage to fill them with things. I recently joined a Pilates studio and take classes there 3 times a week. I spend time emailing and blogging to keep people posted and other than that you can find me poolside and reading. I also try to devote some time each day to Rosetta Stone. I have been lucky enough to meet some other lovely ladies and enjoy lunch and shopping from time to time. It's roughbeing a leisurely lady...
One of my goals while here is to study photography (really more of a crash course on my own, guided by some books I have purchased). However, I haven't really began this course yet as I have guilt every time I spy my photography books and realize I really should be learning Espanol first. 
read
(so thankful for my ipad!)
(disclaimer: I realized after posting this picture there appears to be some interesting possibly inappropriate text. A Visit From the Goon Squad is a Pulitzer Prize winning novel, in my leisurely existence I have not resorted to reading pure smut.)
hiltonpool
(one of the Hilton pools)


So, that is a brief look at all the answers we have found to the lingering questions that existed. Obviously there is sure to be many more questions & answers found as we navigate our Colombian adventure. 


No comments :

Post a Comment