March 9, 2015

Rodeo Rundown

We became a little bit more Texan this weekend and attended the Houston Rodeo.

When we lived in Beaumont, we attended the BBQ Cook-off, which kicks off the rodeo, all three years that we were residents.
But this was our first official rodeo...
which explains why I didn't fully understand the concept.

During the three weeks of the rodeo, a concert is held every night.
There is rides.
And lots of fried food.
Sounds like a fair to me.

So that's what I thought it was.
Maybe you walk through some livestock and during the day some medals are given for showing sheep?
But since we're in Texas, instead of calling it a 'fair' we call it a 'rodeo'.

I was wrong.
It's a rodeo.


Lauren stayed with our sweet sitter
{and didn't cry when we left!}
and we made our way to my first rodeo, with the Fishers in tow.

The rodeo was a cultural experience all around. Animals. Events. Entertainment...

Like this...
Untitled
Thirty middle school students chasing 15 calfs around the arena with the objective of roping them and leading them into a circle for a $1500 scholarship. I felt equally entertained and guilty for being entertained.
Except when I saw kiddos being drug by calfs as they held on for dear life by the tail.

Then I just felt bad for the calf.

And the grand finale..


John Legend.
The 'event' we came for.



Listening to this Oscar winner serenade us live, was totally worth the 'mutton busting'.

IMG_5652

After a night out for the parents, we spent the rest of the weekend on a little family project.

A couple of weeks ago, Matt made a Lauren-sized picnic table.

We put it to use last week for an impromptu picnic.
Untitled

But it wasn't quite finished, so Dad sanded it down and we slapped a coat of paint on it and it's ready...

DSC_0046

...for the perfect Texas spring days
&
the hot Texas summers.

But right now we're experiencing Texas rain.

DSC_0076

So it's sitting in the living room...

DSC_0095

Which doesn't seem to bother Lauren.



2 comments :

  1. Love your vest! Can I ask where it is from? Actually, love all your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had my eye on a very similar vest from Banana Republic for some time, but when I spotted this particular vest at Marshalls, it was a done deal.

      Delete