August 10, 2011

an american girl in cartagena

today while doing my laundry I watched the 
final episode of Sex and the City:
Season Six
carrie_versacecouturegown
{obsessed with this gown}

I know like 75% of girls announce their love
of SATC 
is this an exaggeration?
but I really do have a special place in my heart 
for this series.
girlsxmas2
In high school, on Sunday nights the girls 
would come over to my house and my mom 
would cook us dinner or snacks and we would watch
4 fabulous woman navigating their fabulous NYC lives,
wondering what our lives had in store for us.
girlsedit
In college our tradition continued.
One year for Halloween, we dressed up as the cast.
I was Carrie.
Not sure if I forced this or if it was a unanimous decision
I probably forced it.
We put on LBD's and even decorated some special martini
glasses for our cosmos
Who were we kidding, we were poor college students,
there was no way we were drinking cosmo's...
we likely had Keystone topping off the glasses
roomies2
The final season of SATC 
we went all out.
We could hardly let such a momentous occasion
pass us by without a proper celebration.
My college roommates and I
{same gals who are coming to Colombia in 3 months}
each dressed up in an old prom dress,
did up-do's and all out make-up
and said goodbye to SATC.
We made appetizers and even
scrounged up enough money to serve cosmos.
We sat and watched
cried & laughed
and talked under our 
'Goodbye Sex and the City'
banner.
Yep. 
{totally wish I had the picture to place here, but sadly I don't}
Summer2010-29edit
In the final episodes Carrie relocates to Paris with her 'Ruski' boyfriend.
I probably should have watched this season earlier in my adventure
because I identified with a lot of the emotions and things she experienced.
Having one zillion questions about this change of location.
Language barriers.
Lots of alone time.
Being the foreigner, {also known as the joke}.
girlstx2
One thing that I didn't experience is 
friends second guessing the decision 
to start an adventure far away.
Now, I know this is a drama series and it would be too perfect if her friends 
just waved goodbye and everyone lived happily ever after.
But, that's kinda how my story went.
My friends have never doubted the adventure we have taken.
tourdelove2011-55edit
They embraced it. 
With their full hearts
and they have really BIG hearts
which has made me that much more excited.
They also do such an amazing job of keeping in touch.
BBM's, emails, phone calls over lunch hours, Skype
I don't feel like 'I'm the friend who moved out of the country'
I feel like I am still,
very much,
a part of their lives.
NYE2011-10edit
When Carrie and the girls are at her 'good-bye' dinner she says:
'Today I had a thought....
What if I had never met you?'
goodbyechi2
Well, thank goodness I did.


as I turned off SATC to write this 
I turned the tv directly to 
a Dixie Chicks concert.
I think my girls are with me today:)

No comments :

Post a Comment