October 28, 2011

Ioway

{Ioway. When Matt and I lived in Lake Charles, Louisiana I still carried an Iowa license. One night, entering a bar, the bouncer looked at my ID and said, 'Ioway, huh?'. Yep}
 
Day One - Three
Our first weekend in Iowa included sleeping in, enjoying coffee and fall colors, a trip to Target & Panera {heaven} and an International Food Festival with the Ostlunds. Unfortunately, I did a pretty poor job of picture taking at these social events. Probably because I was busy being in the moment and sampling Bacon Candied Ice Cream.

iowa1
Sunday we headed East {???} to get family pictures taken care of and to celebrate Graham Cracker's big birthday.
iowa5
iowa6
Marcie did the cakes herself. Impressive and so sweet!
iowa7
iowa8

Day Four
The Schetzsle's had us over for dinner and I enjoyed catching up with incredible friends, while dining on some great food and wine. Unfortunately, I won't be back for Katie's baby shower, but I was able to give Mama Schetz and Baby S their gift a bit early.
I could not be more excited for this bambino to arrive. Kate is absolutely gorgeous, inside & out and has been an amazing friend for years. She is entering motherhood with such grace, which is not surprising and the little peanut that enters this world in January is beyond blessed to call her mom.
iowa4
iowa3
Matt and I were delighted to spend the evening with friends, but I would be lying if I said that we weren't in love with having some pups around {aka: Big Sisters}.

Day Five
I had the pleasure of joining Betty at the National Tour Debut of La Cage Aux Folles. Ever seen the Birdcage? Think of that, on Broadway. I LOVED it. Drag Queens and Music. Sold. On top of all that, Charlie got us some amazing tickets, up close and absolute center. I had no idea a man could rock legs like that before this experience.

Day Six
After lunch with Scott at Matt's top pick, Buffalo Wild Wings, I had an appointment to see my friend, hair stylist, and new mama, Tiffany. Her mom Shawn was kind enough to come to the salon and bring her baby boy Trevyn. 
Seriously. Between Trevyn, Graham, and the cutest baby bump Kate is sporting I came down with a case of the baby fever... Can you blame me?
iowa2
Tiff can work magic and transformed my long locks into a cute, fun bob. Loves it. I feel like a grown-up... which is probably what an almost 29 year old should feel like.
And so far, from what I can tell this hairstyle has helped with my  Colombian white ceramic floor issues.
IMG_0034

Day Seven
We hit the road {something we don't get to do too often} and headed over to the High Trestle Trail Bridge, to check out the beautiful fall landscape.
iowa9
iowa10
iowa11
iowa12
iowa13
After working up an appetite, we headed to Hickory Park: An Ames Tradition. I need to mention the insane amount of eating out we did with the McQuinn's. They supported us in seeking out each craving our Colombian hearts desired. Thank You!
After eating at one of our top restaurants in the old stomping grounds, we decided to peruse through the campus of our alma mater. 
iowa14
Including the house Matt and his roomies used to occupy. In all honesty, I am shocked it is still standing.
iowa15
After the trip down memory lane, we headed over to Shelley's house to spend the afternoon with her family.
Matt requested that this picture be posted on the blog.
iowa16
Along with Claire telling me that, "I needed more practice playing catch."
iowa17
Catch and Tree Climbing. The things you will do for an adorable face.

Day Eight - Ten
Our last weekend was family & friend/football focused. Saturday night we had a crew and a private room to watch the Iowa game and more football with friends on Sunday.
Both Matt's sisters, Marcie & Shelley,  came over with their kiddos for the weekend. We enjoyed some togetherness over smoked meat, Cakebread wine {i die for some Cakebread... It's probably a good thing I can't get it here. I would be a different kind of ama de casa...if you know what I mean} and Jade Garden.
iowa18
iowa20
iowa19
We had an amazing time our first 10 days of vacay. It's hard to be so far away from so many people we love and care about, but the time and effort made by friends and family to see us is so special and very much appreciated.

Day Eleven
Got up early to head to Des Moines International {i love that} for a flight out to Knoxville...


No comments :

Post a Comment