July 9, 2011

a decade | a difference

This weekend,in Ankeny, Iowa,
our 10 year high school reunion
is taking place.
AHS Class of 2001

While we are not there to catch up with 
acquaintances 
and celebrate with the many friends we have 
maintained close relationships with 
{far beyond the halls of Ankeny High School 
and the 'infamous' Pit}
the occasion has brought on a lot of 
reflecting
as to where we are
10 years later
and who we
were
as 18 
{cough, cough, I guess one of us was 19}
year old high school graduates.

Where did you think you would be in 10 years?
july2011
From age 8 I knew I wanted to be an elementary school teacher, so I had a clear vision for career goals although I am certain I did not see the term 'juvenile delinquency' on the horizon.  I thought I would be married by 28 {however it is doubtful that I had any idea it would be to my friend & classmate and I definitely did not think I would be one of the first to be married among my friends}. Probably the biggest discrepancy about where I thought I would be and where I am... I saw myself living in the Ankeny/Des Moines area and having a child {27 was my magic number}. One of the most amazing things 10 years later has to be the friendships. I can't even form words for the gratitude I feel to share such history with so many amazing people all while participating in one another's future. It's beautiful. Really.

Matt's answer wasn't as straightforward. When I asked him over dinner he responded with sarcasm and stated something like,
"I thought I might be in Bogota, but not Cartagena..."
He then told me as a senior in high school he was likely not thinking about what the next 10 years would look like {in full disclosure, he is still likely not thinking about what the next 10 years look like}
After I shared what my 10 year plan had looked like, he played the game with me and said that he too did not see himself marrying a classmate and was going to settle in the Des Moines/Ankeny area...
july2011-3
Well, we're only 3,000 miles happily off track...



No comments :

Post a Comment