May 11, 2016

Caroline's 3 month photos

I still haven't admitted defeat to the whole 'memory-documentation-photos' of second child thing.
You know, the one where the first born has pictures and records of every milestone and seemingly special moment,
and each child following the first born has less and less of that.

I'm still trying.

Although, honestly, I've already been defeated.
I know there are less photos of Caroline on my phone and big camera.
Her baby book is sitting in a cupboard, next to a file folder filled with notes, papers, and photos.

And her three months photos almost didn't happen.

I took Lauren's 3 month and 9 month photos in-between professional sessions scheduled for newborn, 6 months and one year.
We love having those photos to look back on,
to see how much she changed from week to week,
month to month,
and now to look at both the similarities and differences to our sister girls.

So I intended to do the same with Miss Caroline.
Except I was a mere days away from her 4 month 'birthday'
and hadn't taken one three month photo.

So one Saturday morning,
when Lauren was at gymnastics with dad
I made it happen.
I grabbed a couple headbands from her nursery,
a blanket from the closet,
opened all the windows in my room,
and started snapping.

It was fast.
I was in a hurry.
I knew I had limited time before big sister came home and the chaos of lunch, a birthday party afternoon, and general life with kids began.

When I finally uploaded the photos to my computer
I was disappointed in myself.
Why didn't I take my time?
The lighting could have been better,
my focus was off,
and I didn't capture a one with that big sweet grin she shows off.
And on. And on. And on.

The photos sat, untouched, for some time.
I debated trying again another day or
pushing it off until a six month session with a professional.

But no.

"What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that's gone forever, impossible to recreate"
- Karl Lagerfeld

These photos capture my darling baby girl,
at three months,
on a Saturday morning at home,
just being her sweet self.

While the focus may not be perfect,
the poses are all the same,
and I would have liked to take 400 more,
I can never have that moment again.

And that's all the reminder I need to cherish these simple little 3 month pictures.

And carry my big camera with me all summer.

DSC_0998
DSC_0917 - Version 2
DSC_1084 - Version 2
DSC_0714
DSC_0960 - Version 2


No comments :

Post a Comment