July 17, 2013

oh bella

Yesterday Bella gave me quite the scare.
On Monday evening, I noticed she was holding up her hind right leg, the other leg, not the one with the  scar from last years ACL surgery.  With little Miss Ruby in the house, Bella does a lot of running and playing around, so I thought maybe she had just played too hard and made a mental note to keep an eye on it.
Yesterday morning she wouldn't move. Held up that hind right leg, refusing to put any weight on it, and wouldn't budge an inch. She had to be carried down the stairs {not by me this time} and when we reached the main level she still wouldn't budge.  After a lot of coaxing, we finally got her to lay down on a dog bed, while I immediately began to believe we were going to need surgery. I had convinced myself that this time she tore it all the way through, which is why she wouldn't put any weight on it and I would spend the next 12 weeks, right up until George's arrival nursing Bella's other ACL.
I called and made an appointment to have her seen and get some x-rays taken, while she laid on the bed and still didn't move.  At around noon, Tyler dropped by to help me transport/carry her {per my mothers directions} and she finally got up and walked around a little, still limping, but finally putting some weight on her leg.
Dr. Sam took a good look and her and assured me that he didn't feel like it was the same situation as last time, but just to see where we were at, he took some x-rays.
The diagnosis: Bella strained her leg a bit, but there is no follow up with a surgeon on the horizon.
photo
For now, we have a prescription for anti-inflammatories and we are taking it easy. Well that's what Bella is doing.
I am taking deep sighs of relief on a pretty consistent basis that we're not preparing for boxer surgery.

No comments :

Post a Comment