September 20, 2011

a history lesson.

While a lot of my time in Tennessee was filled with dogs and water, I did manage to take in a few of the historic venues that the area has to offer.

Each year Knoxville celebrates Labor Day with their Annual Boomsday Celebration. It boasts itself as the largest Labor Day firework show in the Nation. And with 400,000 people, I believe it. As you can imagine, 400,000 peeps in one place is a crowd, which means trouble getting seats and parking. To alleviate that headache, my parents {who learned their lesson from previous Boomsday experiences} secured tickets to a more intimate setting. The Mabry-Hazen House celebrates Boomsday with 200 people, a live band, a dinner with BYOB privileges, and a tour of the historic home. This home was built in 1858 and housed three very dramatic generations. The tour included stories of the Civil War, a gunfight in downtown Knoxville, and a Breach of Promise lawsuit in the 1930's after a man promised to marry a young lady and backed out. ouch.
tn1
tn2
I must say, it is quite an incredible fireworks display. Tennessee lacked a lot of rain this summer and of course all that changed the day of Boomsday. Fortunately, the rain let up just in time to enjoy the fireworks.
tn3

We also made a trip over to Asheville, North Carolina to visit the Biltmore: America's Largest Home.
tn13
Can I just say how much I love this tourist attraction?
tn4
This home has 250 rooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces. It is absolutely gorgeous. And it was built in 1895 by
George Washington Vanderbilt {relation to Anderson Cooper... just another reason to love that Silver Fox}
tn5
It is stunning. Truly.
Inside and out.
Did I mention it also has a bowling alley and an indoor pool? 1895 people. Insanity.
Unfortunately, you can't take pictures inside so all you will see is the out.
Unless, of course, you stop when you're in Asheville.
Which I highly recommend.
tn6
The expansive grounds were designed by the creator of Central Park. Gorg. Can you imagine that view each morning?
tn8
tn7
I'm a sucker for the details.
tn9
tn10
tn11
The first time I ever visited The Biltmore it was decorated for Christmas. Incredibly gorgeously, I might add. Yes, I said incredibly gorgeously. Complete with the largest Christmas tree I have ever seen in my life, inside the home. And...it was real. {Sidenote: Did I mention that this weekend at the mall I saw Christmas trees for sale? Not my traditional Fraser Fir, but a tree with branches to decorate. Just got a little more excited for our Cartagena Christmas!}
However, during our Christmas visit the gardens weren't open. No words. Just pictures.
tn15
tn14
tn16
tn17
tn19
tn18

If the pictures didn't entice you to visit, did I mention there is a winery?

No comments :

Post a Comment