June 13, 2010

Water Works

67 hours has come and gone and I did not get to see any of those beautiful people I was so looking forward to seeing (except my handsome husband).  Instead this is what I saw...
Photobucket
Okay, let me start from the beginning. This saga began Thursday morning when Matt and I attempted to get ready for work and realized that we had no water. A few months ago, the same situation occurred, we called the city, and the problem was fixed, therefore we didn't think too much about it, except for the inconvenience factor. The story continues as I return home from work prepared to pack and paint my nails, when I was greeted by an elderly man and his dog at my house. He explained to me that as he was on his walk, he noticed some water, and took it upon himself to figure out where the water source was. It happened to be under my house. 
Now is where the story gets dramatic. 
We called our home-owners insurance to send out a plumbing company. No one came Thursday night, which caused a dilemma. We had a flight to catch in Houston and would need to leave by noon.  After checking the later flight, which was booked, we realized we would have to make a decision; leave our home with the water situation unresolved and pray that everything was okay when we returned (ie we would have the capability to bathe and flush a toilet)  OR  forgo the fabulous weekend we had planned with friends and family and miss the wedding vows of Old Man & his Old Lady. Unfortunately, we took the "mature homeowner" stance on this one and decided not to leave our home in a crisis situation.
But wait.... thats not it!
So we finally get a plumber out to the house, he locates the problem and explains the fix. However we still have one pretty big problem... he can't fit through the crawl space. After Matt asked for all the "skinny plumbers" numbers, the oversized plumber informed us that the earliest anyone could come out would be Tuesday. But, oversized plumber felt confident that Matt could repair this situation solo. He provided Matt with detailed instructions and materials necessary and after a quick trip to Lowes, my husband ventured into new territory. 
Skinny plumber engineered the necessary parts.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is the next step... fitting into this area. (you can empathize with oversized plumber now, huh?)
Photobucket
Then skinny plumber went to work.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Skinny plumber was successful! Matt was able to fix the problem and as of now we have running water. 
Photobucket
I felt pretty bummed out this weekend, this has to be the longest I have gone without seeing my friends (last reunion: Holiday Season 2009), but with their phone calls, messages, and kind words, I realized that it is times like these that serve as a reminder of why I call them my best friends.
“Maybe mistakes are what make our fate... without them what would shape our lives? Maybe if we had never veered off course we wouldn't fall in love, have babies, or be who we are. After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away” - Carrie Bradshaw
Photobucket
Photobucket




All in all, we learned a big lesson this weekend: Next time the water doesn't work... DO NOT assume that it is the city's problem. 


Photobucket


CONGRATULATIONS ADAM & CARRIE!

1 comment :

  1. Sarah!! I loved the explanation of the water problem, although I'm very sad we didn't get to see you guys this weekend. Loved the story and pics...you had me engrossed in the plot. Couldn't believe Matt had a seemingly nice shirt on to go into the crawl space! Just curious, did you ask the oversized plumber if you could get his pic? That would have made it over-the-top! xoxo Jill

    ReplyDelete