August 23, 2017

a sign of things to come

Today we went to the grocery store.
Our local store is under construction and the aisles change daily so I drove a little farther to a bigger newer store.
I didn't bring a list, just a couple snacks for the girls.
We shopped, trying to remember all the things we needed.
At the water aisle, I realized people were here stocking up for that Tropical Storm Harvey
that was on the horizon.
We were out of room in our cart for cases of water,
but I made a mental note to have Matt pick some up
and then I heard the rain start.
We left our umbrellas in the car,
but by the time we checked out surely it would die down.

It didn't.
This big store has a children's pony ride at the exit.
After I let both girls ride, surely the rain will die down by then.
It didn't.

Groups of people stood in the entrance,
waiting for the rain to stop.
I had two girls who were over being in a grocery cart
and were hungry for lunch.

So we ran.
I ran through the puddles and the pouring rain and the girls giggled their little faces off.
Of course I parked what felt like a mile away and when the girls realized they had to sit in their car seats in their soaking clothes, the giggles disappeared.

IMG_3555
DSC_0004 (2)

Harvey is coming.

No comments :

Post a Comment