September 21, 2014

more travels

I feel like we've had one busy summer with lots going on at home and lots of travel. 
We had one more big trip on our calendar, my cousin's wedding in South Dakota. Our trip started with a flight into Kansas City, a road trip to South Dakota, followed by Minnesota, and a flight home from Minneapolis. 
I told you we were busy. 

We flew in to Kansas City to meet up with my parents and my brother. 
Uncle Tyler has always had a thing for the Muppet's Swedish Chef. So he thought Lauren was pretty cool when she found his Swedish Chef Kitchen set within moments of arriving at his apartment. 
image

From Kansas City we road tripped it to Sioux Falls, South Dakota to pick up Auntie Alysa from the airport and then to our final destination of Mitchell.

While I was warned about a 'cold front' coming through neither me or my daughter were fully prepared for the weather so we stocked up on a few warmer weather options.

IMG_0357
Due to our lack of pant options, Lauren and I ended up in a mother/daughter 'twinsies' moment.

We had a lovely weekend and got to see so many loving faces, including Aunt Betty, Grandpa Clet & Val, and lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins, many who met Lauren for the first time.

Lauren decided to begin teething {for real this time} during our visit and battled a fever throughout the weekend. We've got some bottom teeth that have cut through, but our girl was definitely not her self.  
image
image
{there was a whole lot of snuggling with Grandpa...}

We had a lovely time at the wedding, although I spent the majority of the evening chasing our very mobile girl around...

image
although I can't blame her. 
She was still so excited about that Clones victory!
image

Unrelated Story:
Matt and I struggled with how we would decide which team colors Lauren would wear for the Iowa v. Iowa State game. A series of head to head competitions were on the table, but ultimately we decided we should allow Lauren to make the decision. So one morning, I pulled both of her outfits out, Matt got the video camera and we let her go. Matt very confidently commentated as Lauren began walking straight to the Black & Gold Hawkeye outfit until literally at the final moment, she reached for the Cardinal and Gold colors and chose to cheer for the winning team!

From South Dakota we traveled to New Ulm to visit Grandpa & Grandma McGuire before they headed up north with my parents for a fishing trip. We enjoyed some beautiful fall weather, trips to the park, and time with my cousins, James & Lilly, and our first peacock siting.

IMG_0365
IMG_0378
IMG_0379
image
image

Another great trip.
Another great flight.
Another week full of memories,
big occasions & quiet moments.

While I have to admit, I'm ready to slow down for a moment
{and maybe try to move into a house and finally get settled}
I'm so thankful for all the traveling we've done lately.
Both for the memories we've made with extended family, 
but also for the moments she and I shared. 

While Lauren likely won't recall these specific travels,
someday I will tell her the stories.
From snuggles with grandparents and great aunts to the gummy smiles to strangers at the airport. 

I like making memories with my girl.


No comments :

Post a Comment