April 15, 2014

baby food 101

We recently began introducing solids.

Our Knoxville pediatrician told us to hold off until 6 months and consult with our new pediatrician regarding a plan of introduction. Our Knoxville pediatricians office has a very detailed intro that included rice cereal, followed by barley, and then oatmeal.

I was a little intimidated by the process, but felt like Lauren needed something a little more added to her diet, so we introduced brown rice cereal a couple weekends ago.

IMG_3075

We had our 6 month appointment scheduled with our new pediatrician and I felt like this introduction would not cause any issues with a plan they might have in store.
I'm glad I didn't wait, because any questions we had regarding food introduction were met with a mere "Eh, no problem", dismissive hand wave, and something about Cheerios.

We're still on the hunt for Lauren's Texas pediatrician.

After searching for barley cereal {only found in on the internet, not at Target, Buy Buy Baby, or HEB} and introducing oatmeal, we dove into vegetable territory.

Matt and I decided we were going to make Lauren's baby food and I even had a baby food maker sitting under the Christmas tree.
While doing my reading and research, I came across several references to fresh fruits and vegetables being the best for baby... which is kinda the point of this whole "home made" business.

So, determined to introduce our little darling to a nutrient rich green vegetable, I bought pea pods, came home and took peas out of
each.
individual.
pod.

Ridiculous. I know that now.
Actually I knew that about 3 minutes in.
Honestly, it might have been 30 seconds in...

After far too much time, I came up with this.
IMG_3144
After steamed and mixed, it filled one 2 oz container.
DSC_0029

The next time I make peas, I am going frozen.
I learned my lesson...

As far as Lauren's thoughts on the peas...
DSC_0038
She gags & makes a lot of faces.
So peas, may not be her thing right now...

but green beans are next.
And those were much easier to make.



No comments :

Post a Comment