December 4, 2011

it's beginning to look a lot like {a Colombian} Christmas

Matt and I decorated our tree in shorts with the AC blasting... it was definitely a first for both of us. I think the only thing that was familiar during our tree trimming process was the Christmas music that played in the background.
Colombia2011-635
The tree makes me happy, but I miss the ritual of Matt bringing all the Christmas decor boxes downstairs, unwrapping each ornament that has it's own sweet story, smelling that fabulous fresh frasier fir tree, and hanging those stockings {including Bella's}.
colombia2011-637
Colombia2011-627
This year we only have 2 stockings for Santa to fill and really glittery ornaments from our local dollar store {literally, it's called the Dollar King, everything is not 2000 COP, but you get the point}. Our lights are also from the DK and they are causing quite a bit of commotion in the McQuinn household. They are special lights that have 9 different settings from blinking, chasing, to fading... its like a strobe light on the tree. Each time the tree is plugged back in, you must reset each set of lights to the traditional setting. I'm a big fan of tradition. This fancy light business is just not me. Give me simple, just some nice bright unblinking white {gotta be white} lights. Unfortunately, that's not really what is happening right now. Usually by the time Matt walks in the door, each string of lights is doing something different and crazy, as I have already grown weary of trying to figure out how to get it to the proper setting.
While we miss the change of weather, Christmas commercials, neighborhood lights, and Christmas shopping we are getting into the spirit by constantly listening to Christmas music and preparing to fatten up on some season treats. {I finally discovered baking soda & baking powder here... let the baking commence}.

In other happenings...
* This weekend Matt and I went to the Old City to check out the Museum of Modern Art. That's about all I have to say about that... wasn't much to see.
* Cruise season is upon us. The Old City was filled with tourists. It was kinda comforting to see so many English speaking tourists, even if there average age was 65.
* We stopped for lunch at one of my favorite cafes. To quench our thirst we both enjoyed a Limonada con Coco. Fresh squeezed lemonade with coconut. So random. So delicious.
limonadacoco
* I have had a recent craving for Starbucks. More the experience than anything. In the past Matt and I would usually OD on some caffeine before we attempted to handle the crowds involved in Christmas shopping. So as much as I love their deliciously dreamy drinks, I would love to walk into a seasonally decorated Starbucks, get myself a Venti, hear Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Have a great day far too many times and be on my merry American way.
* Shocker. I miss Target. Christmas Target, the decor, toys, wrapping paper, bows, ornaments, cards, wreaths. All placed in the best plastic bags on the planet.


No comments :

Post a Comment