October 27, 2013

Bella & Lauren

Obviously, Bella was our baby before Lauren came along.
She's a little spoiled and has us convinced she is not just a dog.
So, we were slightly concerned how she would handle playing second to Little Lady Lauren.

I did some research into preparing your dog for a baby.
I introduced baby gear so she could investigate, played videos of babies crying, and attempted to not let her sit on my lap all the time as that would be baby McQuinn's spot.
The last one didn't go so well.
Bella is nothing if not persistent.
And of course, we had my parents bring home a blanket from the hospital so Bella and the other girls could be introduced to Lauren's scent.

oct-laurenbella1

When we came home from the hospital, Bella was uncharacteristically calm. Her greeting was not her typical boxer shake. She really didn't show a lot of interest in Lauren at the beginning. I think she was probably busy attempting to soak up her daily attention quota elsewhere as Matt and I were both a little busy.

oct-laurenbella-2

Interestingly enough, after Matt left, Bella became interested in Lauren. She greets her each morning, which involves smelling her head, and checks on her periodically throughout the day.  She has displayed no signs of jealousy or acting out.  She is extremely gentle with her and seems to know they are destined to be best friends.
{as if she has a choice…}

oct-laurenbella-2 copy

I was slightly concerned about Bella feeling forgotten once Lauren arrived.
I can confidently say she is not.
She is still very spoiled.

laurenbellabed-1

Perfect example:
When I wake in the middle of the night for Lauren's feedings, Bella takes my spot in the bed.
When I finally return to the bed, she doesn't always like to move and give me my spot back.

And I don't make her.

laurenbellabed-2

Our two girls,
loved in different ways,
but each one has a special place in our hearts
and our family.



No comments :

Post a Comment